- Hypospermia is a male condition where individuals consistently produce an abnormally low volume of semen when ejaculating.
- The World Health Organization recognizes the condition of Hypospermia when less than 1.5 ml of semen is produced during a single ejaculation.
- This condition is related to many diseases and trauma that cause infertility in men. Let us dwell more on the symptoms and causes of hypospermia.
Symptoms of Hypospermia:-
- In an ejaculation, the average amount of semen expelled ranges between 1.5 ml and 6 ml.
- Ejaculate is made up of different types of fluids, including seminal fluid which contains the sperm.
- Minimal ejaculation is the major symptom of hypospermia.
- Along with this physical experience, hypospermia can also be associated with decreased sexual gratification upon ejaculation.
Causes of Hypospermia:-
- Hypospermia can be a result of various other conditions or abnormalities.
- Trauma associated with exercise or surgery is associated with causing complications in the male reproductive system.
- Lifestyle habits and congenital defects too are factors.
Here are the main causes of hypospermia:-
- Retrograde ejaculation (Semen travels back into the bladder during ejaculation)
- Absence of seminal vessels or vas deferens (This is a congenital cause)
- EDO or Ejaculatory Duct Obstruction (Acquired or congenital)
- Seminal vessel blockage
- Low testosterone production caused by hormonal abnormalities
- Period of abstinence
- Toxins from excessive alcohol consumption affect sperm production
Treatment of Hypospermia:-
- With the release mechanism of sperm affected, hypospermia is a leading cause for male infertility.
- Apart from this, hypospermia can have a negative effect on a person’s mental well-being as lowered sexual gratification can lead to loss of confidence.
- Depending on the cause, treatment of hypospermia is possible.
- It can involve a surgical procedure, medication, or changes in lifestyle habits.
- Reaching out to a specialist is always recommended for those who have the symptoms of hypospermia.