- Penile implants are devices placed inside the penis to allow men with erectile dysfunction (ED) to get an erection.
- Penile implants are typically recommended after other treatments for ED fail.
- There are two main types of penile implants, semirigid and inflatable.
- Each type of penile implant works differently and has various pros and cons.
- The placement of penile implants requires surgery.
- Before choosing penile implants, make sure you understand what surgery involves, including possible risks, complications and follow-up care.
What is a penile implant ?
- A penile implant consists of two rods that are made to fit into the two cylinders of the penis through surgery.
- These rods can be made up of various materials like silicon and are available in various varieties which we shall be discussing subsequently in this article.
- The penile implant has a good life and lasts for many years and in most cases an entire lifetime.
- The implant is not a metal rod but is still stiff enough to withstand most pressures and provide adequate rigidity.
- There are many implants available which also have other connections that fill these rods with water.
- These connections are placed in the scrotum and in front of the bladder.
- The penile implants that have these connection make it possible to rest the penis in a flaccid state and achieve the erection at will.
What are the types of penile implants ?
There are two main varieties of penile implants that are globally available:-
- Non Inflatable Semi-rigid Implants
2.Inflatable Penile Implants (Inflatable Penile Prosthesis)
A)Two Piece ( Cylinders with Scrotal Button)
B)Three Piece (Cylinders with Scrotal Button and Reservoir)
1. Non Inflatable penile implant:-
- It consists of just two rods that are rigid.
- These implants have an advantage that they are cheap and most people can afford the surgery.
- However once they are placed in the penis, the penis always remains in an erect state.
- This means that the penis has to be either bent down forwards or worn over the abdomen to obscure the rigidity.
- Inflatable penile implants:-
- They have the advantage that they can be deflated and the penis can return to a relatively flaccid state just like the normal penis.
- The disadvantage is that the implant itself is expensive and the surgery takes more time as the scrotal button and the reservoir also have to be placed.
Am I a candidate for Penile Implant Surgery ?
To be a candidate for penile implant surgery you should fulfill most of the following prerequisites:-
- Having a poor response to Medical Therapy and Penile Rehabilitation Therapy
- Unable to use or not willing to use Intracavernosal Injections
- Penile Doppler study shows vasculogenic impotence
- Diabetes or severe neurogenic Impotence
- Been on Medical management for a reasonable period of time
- In a stable or active sexual relationship
Why choose us for penile implant Surgery ?
- Dr. Raman Tanwar is a certified and acclaimed Andrologist and Urologist with numerous awards and Gold Medals to his credit
- Dr. Raman Tanwar is considered the Best Urologist in Gurgaon for this type of Surgery and has thousands of Surgeries to his credit.
- He has experience of both Indian and Imported Penile implants
- The Surgery is performed at Urocentre which meets the highest standards for sterility in terms of a modular spacious theater with laminar airflow.
- Qualified team provides protocol based quality post-operative care.
If you have any queries regarding penile implant surgery, please drop us a mail at [email protected]. We will be happy to go through your medical records and suggest the best alternatives to cure erectile dysfunction.